Saturday, January 10, 2009

Paradox or not, the party's over


Was it only a year ago that we were tsk-tsking over the fact that Americans’ savings rate had fallen below zero? We were spending more than we made, thanks to home equity loans, credit cards, and our vague notion that everything would work out—it always had.
Now, professional econo-watchers are tsk-tsking over the fact that Americans have snapped their wallets shut. In many cases, the home equity and the credit cards and the feelings of well-being are gone—along with the job. Consumer confidence is at an all-time low, down to 38 (100=1985, the year the measurement began).

Oh no, the commentators say, now that people have started saving. In an economy that is two-thirds consumer spending, how can we hope to recover if the consumer won’t consume? They have a name for this: The paradox of thrift. A healthy economy depends on a substantial savings rate; our unhealthy economy can’t recover if people don’t spend.

A critical example is the American auto industry, which suffered an 18 percent drop in sales for 2008 and will see a further 20 percent drop in 2009 sales, if forecasters are correct. If the Big Three American automakers went under, nearly 3 million jobs in the automaking industry and related services would be lost, according to the Center for Autmotive Research. Few people want to see the American automakers go under, but too many of us have been blown off the road, economically speaking. We’re supposed to keep consuming because the economy needs jobs? That party is over.

The country lost more than 500,000 jobs in December alone, a 200 percent increase from the previous December. Housing prices nationwide have dropped 23 percent since the summer of 2006 and are still falling. Credit card issuers are expected to lop $2 trillion off credit lines nationwide over the next 18 months, which translates to a 45 percent contraction in credit lines.
So, between the people who are unemployed , the people who no longer have home equity to tap, the people whose credit cards have shrunk, who’s left to spend?

Those who were savers, those with relatively large, secure incomes? Many of those people have seen their retirement nest eggs shrink, along with the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Many of them look at what has happened in the last year—on Wall Street and on their street—and they’re deciding to just say no to the big vacation, the beach house, the early retirement. Even if their personal balance sheet hasn’t suffered much, after the meltdowns, the bailouts, the Paulson schemes, the Ponzi schemes, who knows what lies ahead?

Most of us don’t have much control over what the policymakers or the macro economy will do next. But we do have control over the micro economy in our household. In this environment we get pretty clear, pretty fast, about what’s a necessity and what’s a luxury. That equation is different for everybody, but it’s a good bet that lavish restaurants, the leased Mercedes, the in-home theater, maybe even the weekly pedicure, are falling off the must-have list. Paradox of Thrift, meet the Need to Survive.

What do you think? Do you feel the need to spend to help save jobs? If not, what has fallen off your must-have list?

5 comments:

LeighR said...

Theresa, I couldn't agree with you more!! And as painful as this is (and I believe it's only going to get worse) I find myself feeling hopeful that it will lead us individually and as a society to revaluate our values and re-align our lifestyle and consumption choices. Most of us buy way more than we need and have houses cluttered with stuff that not only infringes on our space but our relationships, our time, and our peace of mind. As soon as my severence ran out after being laid off from a well paid finance position in July 08, I went from very comfortable to very uncomfortable. But strangely, most of the time I'm not too upset. Rather, I'd describe what I'm going through as curiosity. How am I and my family (including my husband and 2 children) going to get through this? What are we going to cut out (or perhaps more interestingly...what are we going to work hard to hold onto)? How are we going to downsize our lives? How are we going to learn new habits, and get the kids to embrace the fact that they don't really need another pair of label jeans, a new snowboard, the latest newest cell phone gizmo, or another video game? How are we going to finish the kitchen renovation project we started before all this happened without the upscale appliances and granite countertops we had envisioned...What is this "new life" going to do to our daily diet, our travel plans, how we take care of the stuff we have, how we spend our time, who we hang out with, and even how we feel about ourselves? When I step back and ignore the voices in my head telling me I should be in extreme worry mode, I find myself intrigued and hoping that me and my family, and the many other families in this boat, make it to the other side in tact, but with new sustainable habits under our pulled in belts. Of course, I'm leaving out most of the details, but I'll keep posting, and we'll see what happens.

Theresa said...

Leigh, kudos to you for not panicking over the prospect of downsizing your consumption. I know that job loss can be a very big shock but, as you so beautifully point out, it can also be a time to reflect on what's worth holding onto and what it's OK to let go of.

I applaud your curiosity about your situation and your willingness to try to get your kids to question some of their consumption, too. I'm sure it is often not easy. I hope other parents out there with experience in this realm will share their advice, too.

The prototypical family of four (like yours) figures prominently in "The Disappearance of the Middle Class," a lecture given nearly two years ago at Berkeley by Elizabeth Warren, who is a Harvard professor, enemy of the credit industry, and champion of middle-class families. It is at http://tiny.cc/UxtYU

I look forward to hearing more about your take on "life after the job goes away." Am rooting for you and your family!

Aimee B. said...

My hope is that we all share and learn from each other. More than tips on saving money and doing with less. I'm looking for rebuilding a new America which is actually "retro", meaning that we build our fractured communities into a central place where we know our neighbors, we ask for help without worrying about reciprocity, we are not isolated from one another.

Now with that being said, I would like to kick things off with one of my favorite blog within another blog, democraticunderground. Here is the link: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=353. This group is concentrating on Frugal Living and Energy Efficient Living. You do have to register (the information is confidential) in order to post, but you can go ahead and read until then. I've been successful with throwing out questions, looking for advice.

An activity that would combine community gathering with practical fun would be a group gathering for an afternoon of making soap, a sewing bee (repairing clothes seems to be the way to go unless they're in tatters).

I'm also in the process of reading up on simplifying household tasks, etc. which include making foods and cleansers that I ordinarily would purchase. I'll keep you in the loop if you like.

I'm primed to read the future comments of my thrifty and frugal compatriots.

Theresa said...

I agree, Aimee. Less isolation and more environmentally friendly consumption would make for a richer society, not a poorer one.

Often, environmentally friendly consumption is also wallet-friendly. More and more, I ask myself: Do I really need/want it? If the answer is yes, I then ask: Can I get it secondhand? Often, I can.

Yes, definitely, please share any advice for simplifying household tasks!

SammyIB said...

Yes apartments, condos, villages, cities and the whole USofA is bloated with stuff.
But as long as the Haves are directed by the media/advertisers as to what will make them happy this will continue. When the split between Haves and Have Nots becomes an abyss and the surplus Haves fall into it there can be change,,,I see in the long term that can happen and the system can "revolution"ize ,,in the short term a revolution could happen if unemployment goes to 25% or beyond ,,hopefully an effective stimulus plan will create manufacturing jobs for main st. america that will also support a sluggish service sector. This would dampen the current cycle and even if the landing is hard rather than soft it could allow for progress to slowly substitute for change by revolution. As for me; my new mantra is credit sucks and at the same time i am reducing my cable bill by $40 per month (CNN is overrated). For a long term plan I totally believe in the DIE BROKE philosophy of Stephan M. Pollan; 1)QUIT TODAY,don't get married to your job, the corporation is not loyal to you 2)PAY CASH,like i said credit sucks,,frugality and financial prudence go a long way 3)DON'T RETIRE the premise of quitting today means finding something you are passionate about and pursuing it, if you love what you are doing there is no reason to retire 4) DIE BROKE, your legacy does not need to expect your wealth. Opportunity, education and work are better sources of a stronger family and world. As E.F. Schumacher writes Small is Beautiful